Students will design and build a lightweight crane that creatively lifts a variable load (P) from a structure a minimum vertical height (V) of 18 inches with a minimum horizontal (H) clearance distance of 9 inches from the edge of the tower or footprint of the crane. The crane structure may encroach on a 45 Degrees angle from the lifting point as shown in the diagram.
The crane must lift the load a minimum of 6 inches to qualify. The crane that lifts the greatest load and meets the portfolio and interview requirements showing proper application of the concepts introduced will be deemed the best design.
Structural Testing Criteria:
- Organize the Design Team & Assign Jobs
- Tension, Compression and Bending
- Column Buckling
- Horizontal Component Vector & Changing Angles
- Braced Length & Column Buckling
- The Mechanical Advantage of Pulleys
- Crane Stability & Rotational Overturning
- Possible Structural Design Solutions
- Shapes of Cantilevers, Cranes and Towers
- Possible Aesthetic Design Solutions
Professor Joseph A. Betz, R.A., SUNY Farmingdale, is one
of the judges for the original Creative Crane Competition.
Standard U.S. pennies are used for the weights and counterweights. Both the weights and counterweights must be suspended from the crane. Students must design a container to hold the pennies for weight and counterweight. There are no restrictions except that the container may not be structural and can not rest on the ground.
Students are scored as follows:
- Maximum Load = 70 percent
- Team Portfolio = 20 percent
- Team Interview = 10 percent
This team pack includes basic instructions, 1/8"x1/8"x12" balsa,  pulley packs (4 pulleys per package),  motors, and  motor holders. The teacher must supply glue (any type such as hot glue guns or wood glue), thin sheet metal (for block and tackle), nuts and bolts or pins and nails (for pulley axle).
NOTE: DC voltage power source required (see KELVIN's power supply #841051). Grades 7 & up. Class pack for 6 teams.
Not laser cut or pre-designed.
Other versions available below.
Other Bulk Packs